CIOs and their companies were recognised at the 13th edition of the Africa CIO100 Awards. The event, held at Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort and Spa, saw more than 300 CIOs, senior IT professionals, business executives congregate in Mombasa on 18 – 19th November to learn, share knowledge, and recognise their peers who have performed well in the industry.
Unga Group Limited’s CIO Tom Mboya was named Africa’s CIO of the year. Mboya said, “It has been 25 years of hard work. I have gotten a lot of support. I know people who have previously won the CIO100 Awards and I really respect them.”
The Director-General of the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) Ezra Chiloba, urged business leaders and IT executives to be problem solvers because the survival of their organisations depends on their leadership.
“I challenge you to appreciate that our world has become more challenging. The survival of our organisations depends on your leadership. Try to invest in reflection and learning during uncertain times,” he said.
CIO Africa Chairman Andrew Karanja thanked “all the sponsors who have tirelessly supported the event since its inception in 2008.”
Other big winners at the Africa CIO100 Awards 2021 include:
- Education Sector Award – Moringa School
- Banking Sector Award – Standard Chartered Bank
- Public Sector Award – National Social Security Fund (NSSF)
- Health Sector Award – MP Shah Hospital
- Sacco Sector Award – Safaricom Sacco
- Transport Sector Award – Kenya Airways
- Women in Tech Leadership Award – Grace Vihenda.
- Green Edge Award – Uku’hamba Prosthetics and Orthotics (Pty) Ltd
- Education Sector Award goes to Moringa School.
- Technology Partner Award – Safaricom PLC.
- Manufacturing Award – Dangote Projects Ltd
- Hospitality Sector Award – Sarova Hotels.
- Biggest Adopter of Technology in Africa Award – British American Tobacco.
- Insurance Sector Category – Zep-Re PTA Insurance Company.
The two-day events featured multiple panel discussions covering diverse key topics ranging from Artificial Intelligence (AI), 5G network, data technologies, data security, digital workplaces, cloud technology, and tech talent among others.